Old 10-08-2005, 06:59 AM
Greg 79 f150
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 924x2150
It is a one piece, I can't find a seam anywhere.
I'm not crazy...I had a good idea this was going to be a major project.
The bathroom is also upstairs and it is going to be tough to get a new bathtub in there. I sure hope I don't have to rip any doors, walls/studs apart to install a new one. I'll see about a new bathtub today, and fiqure out if the project is worth all the trouble. Thx for the replies.
Edit..
I just took a good look at the enclosure, there is an access panel in the hallway closet, I can see behind the unit, it was laid into the bare framing and it may be screwed or nailed into the studs at the top off the unit. There is regular drywall butted up to the edge of the fiberglass, I'm betting that there is a flange around the edge that goes behind the drywall. I think I'll be able to loosen it up if I Remove the 3 sections of drywall above the enclosure, and cut/remove the fasteners.

If the drywall was butted up to the edge of the holding flange on the tub, take note of that as another enclosure being installed wrong. The stud to stud rough opening on a standard tub should be 60 inches. Many carpenters make the rough opening 61 inches, which is wrong. The drywall needs to go over the flanges to assure the water stays on the surface, and doesnt run behind the tub flange.