View Single Post
Old 09-23-2005, 11:15 PM
VintageBlueOval
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2400 mile trip in my 223 '62 unibody

Maybe I'm insane, but next week I'm flying back to California to drive my 62 F100 all the way to Atlanta. I moved to Atlanta from SoCal about 3 months ago, and I miss my 62 dearly. In 3 months here, I've seen one 61-66 truck in the Atlanta area. My Uni might become the only one around. Just in time for $4.00 a gallon gas and no more Interstate 10 in Louisiana, it ought to be a good time. The '62 is (or was 3 months ago) a daily driven, 3-speed, column-shift, 223-cube, unibody shortbed. I'm pretty sure we'll get here in one piece. The engine was 100% built about 4 years ago, fresh clutch, generator and rear end seals in January. Radiator is fresh, all belts, hoses and tuneup goodies are new. Brakes, exhaust and steering are new within a year, and all new fuel lines throughout. The tires of course are new and she runs like a top. I've got a bedfull of replacement sheetmetal (doors, hood, core support, tailgate and floorboards) and lots of caffene on tap. The whole trip should take 4 days, about 12 hours a day behind the wheel. If the wind and road-funk coming through the holes in the floorboards don't make me commit suicide before the non-stop window rattle, I'll be sure to let you guys know how it goes, and how much it cost in gas. Anyone of you guys ever rolled this far in your old pickups? How'd it go?

Oh yeah, I've got AAA Roadside assistance, not that I'll need it!