View Single Post
Old 09-13-2005, 10:35 PM
Kruse
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by beegeezy
Does anyone know what carb came on the 534? and what is the bore size? I thought that it was like 4in or something of that nature.Im going to be putting it into a truck, and hop it up. Ive decided to use the 534 over the other motors because its different, and everyone has done a 460. Plus, I have a 534 in my yard that runs, as a 460 I would have to buy, and I could spend that money on the 534 and have something a whole lot cooler.Im also all about things that are different.
I hate to rain on your parade, but just consider my advice one way to save yourself a little money. Scratch that, a lot of money.
First, remember the 534 weighs about 1100 lbs. Your 460 weighs about a third less. Second, you can get stroker kits that will put your 460 over the 534 ci barrier. Third, where are you going to get speed parts for the 534? There are no speed parts for the 534. NONE. A high lift camshaft? You grind it yourself. An Edelbrock intake for your 534? Don't make us laugh. High compression pistons? Nada. High flowing heads? The design of this engine is poor by todays standards. I could go on and on, but you get the point.
One more thing to remember: The top RPM for the 534 MIGHT be 3300.
Now compare all the points I have posted against the 460 and there is no comparison.
The 534 was a great engine.......back when gas was $.20 a gallon and the huge truck that it powered topped out at 50 MPH, going down a steep hill.

If you have LOTS of money to spend and want to be different, buy a BOSS 429 or a SOHC 427. You will get much more attention and be way different.