View Single Post
Old 09-12-2005, 08:07 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver
Received 331 Likes on 255 Posts
Originally Posted by knightcharger
Ineresting mtflat that you say there is no engine No on the serial code how would you know if the engine is original.

I ask because I need to identify the engine to replace the valve guides and I think there were two types the split and the solid and did they vary between the 6 cylinder and the V8.
There is no engine number - so there is no way to tell if it is original. When working on cars and trucks of this vintage you learn the engine types and variations of that engine to make an educated guess if it is mostly original.

60 years since they were mfg'd most have had an engine rebuilt - the common practice was to take it to the dealer and he would give you an already rebuilt replacement to carry out the door.

Ford knew this would happen and if the block contained the serial number all kinds of chaos would result at the various DMV's around the world. Kept things simpler to place the serial number on the tranny half bell (32-48 cars) and they didn't even do that much with the 48(truck)-53 engines.

I can't help with sources for 6 cyl valve guides. Maybe Barry in Conn. will read this and come up with the numbers. You're correct re: V8 guides are solid one piece in the post-48 flatheads and 2 piece split guides in pre-48 V8's.

You might have to tear into your's and see what you have. Probably one of two. Both are 226 cid. 1G would be the prefix found on pre '48 engines and 7H is the prefix for the late engines. Internally I don't know the differences.

Check with Red's Headers in CA when you figure out what you have - they're online and Red or Marilyn know nearly everything there is to know about flatheads. If they don't carry the parts you need they can tell you where to find them.

Last edited by mtflat; 09-12-2005 at 08:09 PM.