Old 07-28-2005, 08:35 PM
Big
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jackofalltrades

I would say that if you ran it bone dry, (not a great idea since this wears on the pumps and other components), then put enough fuel in the tank to be picked up, and make the system "wet", then cycling the key a few times while listening for the pump and pressure relief, you should be able to prime the system sufficient to start the engine. I would not just turn the key and expect it to start, but these new systems are much more forgiving than early fuel injected Diesels.

-Steve
I, rather foolishly, ran my PSD dry about a half mile from home one night. Had to get back to the kids and to take the sitter home. I put about 3 gallons in the tank and then cycled the key 3-4 times. Then it started up, coughed and sputtered a bit and died. Cycled the key 3-4 more times and started it up again. It did ok this time but ran "funny" for a minute. The water in fuel light came on for that minute too. I didn't think to drain the separator but apparently it was ok because the light went off. After that minute, the truck ran just fine. Not sure what my reasoning was but I didn't drive her real hard for the next 20 miles or so. I have not had any apparent problems since.

My brother is an engineer for Cummins and I asked him the implicactions behind running a diesel dry and he basically said the fuel lubricates the injectors and that is the biggest potential risk. Fuel pump too but that is not as big of a deal to repair as the injectors.