View Single Post
Old 07-08-2005, 08:56 PM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
OK, lessee ...

Kevin:

I've got the code for your engine paint and will include that when I send in the next request to PPG.

fordman:

a) The VIN is usually one of several sets of numbers and letters on the rating plate. The VIN for the 1951-1956 years is a character string like the F10R3K19310 you posted. The 1948-1950 trucks used a different VIN coding system, as did the 1957-1960 trucks. I know there are folks out there that know those years far better than I do. You can go to the reference page on Earl's World, or to several other web sites, to decode your 1953 VIN.

b) The VIN for the 1951-1956 years does not contain the paint code - that is a separate letter on the rating plate. The actual paint code letter probably isn't on your title either - although your title may say "green" or something in the vehicle description if there is one. As already mentioned by Chris, you'll probably have to match a paint chip to the paint under the dash, behind the seat, or somewhere else where it was not likely to be changed over the years. As I mention below, it looks like adding paint chips to the chart at Earl's World will be next on the list of to-do's.

c) You can get a new, blank rating plate from Sacramento Vintage Ford (and maybe other vendors). They will even stamp it for you if you can find or figure out what the rest of the information on the plate should be for your truck (you already have the VIN). Go to the Earl's World reference page and look at the rating plate shown there. Start a separate thread with a post listing all you know about your truck (transmission, engine, etc.) and asking folks to help you create a matching set of data for a rating plate. I'm sure we can figure it out - unless there have been a lot of changes (darksiding) to your truck.

Chris:

The info from the chassis catalog is great! From what you posted I can put together a list for the 1948-1950 trucks and send it off to PPG. Thanks much!

John:

Thanks for the 1960 codes. Not to be a pain, but are those truck paint codes only, or are there car codes mixed in? Is that a scan of a Ditzler chip page? Thanks for taking the time to help out.

reamer:

I can see I need to add paint chips to the chart so folks have some idea of the different greens, etc. I'll work on that as I get free time. They will never be exact matches due to color variations on different monitors, etc., but you'll be able to get a good idea what the color looks like and then use the PPG code to match the original exactly.

To answer your original question, the Sea Island is a lot lighter than the Meadow Green. I suspect you have the Meadow Green color.

David:

You are most welcome.

Nathan:

Yes, our Canadian friends do have different colours - and they even spell color differently! Once I get the rest of the codes and the paint chips under control, I'll get back with you and see what we can do about getting the Canadian colors nailed down, eh?