View Single Post
Old 07-06-2005, 09:53 PM
e1p1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Hindenburg stuff is irrelevant. The Hindenburg burned so spectacularly because the resin it was covered with was almost as volatile as gasoline. The hydrogen was gone almost instantly, but the body just followed.

A punctured hydrogen tank is not all that dangerous since H dissipates so quickly.(Or so I've read numerous times)

The real prob with H as an auto fuel is that it's almost impossible to make a tank it won't leak slowly from, and the amount of fuel you'd have to store to equal the usual tank of gasoline is huge.

There is a company that is making an add-on kit for a Prius which adds a couple batteries and fools the computer into believing there is more electricity available, thereby saving the gas engine from turning on. It also adds a plug in capability for nighttime charging, again so the engine doesn't have to shoulder the burden. They claim up to 150 mpg with this kit. If Toyota were to adopt this technology with their economy of scale, the option would cost about $3,000.

I'd comment on the government's so-called interest in H, but I'm trying to remain non political.

Last edited by e1p1; 07-06-2005 at 09:56 PM. Reason: spelling