Thread: Truggy
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2005, 12:15 AM
willd
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truggy

I recently acquired a 79 F250 4x4 with a 400, C6, NP205 and decent running gear for basically free. I have been toying with the idea of building a Truggy for playing around and I was wondering if you guys would have any inputs on one.

Basically I don't know much about the running gear except it's all stock. Dana 44 front/ 60 rear. Haven't counted the splines on the rear yet, but I'm hoping for 35 spline units. The body is in pretty good shape, but it's been a work truck all of it's life and I don't really feel like starting over on another project like that again. I know it will probably make some rust-belters mad, but I was looking at taking the body off and selling it and using the chassis as a basis for a Truggy. I know that the leaf springs will be too stiff, so I'm thinking that some Wrangler packs would be a lot better. Basically I want to tube frame the thing to get rid of weight and have something fairly light and indestructable from an objectively reasonable standpoint.

I was thinking that using the stock frame would be a lot easier than making one from scratch and it also makes it a lot easier to title for later use on the street. ( I want it to be legal so I can enter local rides. Most of them require street licensed rigs in any sort of competition.) I have enough extra parts to build 2 of these things, so I'm not worried about drivetrain issues.

Any ideas that you've tried and didn't work. If you've always wanted to build one of these and never have, I would welcome ideas. I've built plenty of cars and trucks, but never a tube frame thing like this.

My ideas for use include. Mild rock-crawling. Sand Dunes. Mud running when I can find wet dirt. ( I live in Vegas so mostly I see rocks and dry lake-beds.) I would also like to keep the weight down under 3K lbs so it will be nimble and quick in case I want to take it to the drags once in awhile. (That's another reason it has to be street legal.)

I'm aware that fenders and frame heights will have to be watched. I'm looking at max 35-38" tires for speed reasons. I want to keep the stock 400 for awhile, then I have the stuff to put in FE or 460 later on. I would like to partially enclose the drivers compartment with .040 aluminum. Something a little thicker for the fire-wall in case of fire or rod's coming out at me. I've got a few ideas about air-conditioning, but that's something for much later on in the game. I would like to keep the 3/4 ton running gear for the big brakes as much as the strength. A dana 60 isn't an option right now since I don't think I will need one and for $$$ reasons. Also, I don't usually break parts since I hate buying replacements at normal cost.

Here's your chance to have input on my ride. I will take any and all suggestions. I might even be willing to part with the cab and front clip for other parts if you want to trade something. The bed is being saved for my other truck right now.

Thanks