View Single Post
Old 05-31-2005, 06:23 AM
BigBlue88
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Awesome progress on your trucks.

Memorial day weekend was spent taking out 4 very large branches hanging over my Uncle's house- probably 30-40 feet long, and about the same height in the air, hanging in a small cluster off this giant old oak tree. Two come-alongs, two large ratchet-straps, three ladders, and a 4x4 Subaru, plus me on the chainsaw. I wore that chain down to little nubs, practically.

We'd use two come-alongs and the 2 and 4-ton straps, hooked to a part of the trunk further up to winch the branch higher into the air to clear the dormers and and put tension on it. Then I'd get on a ladder and notch the top and bottom of the base of the branch. Then winch it more, adjust the straps and re-winch until the branch wouldn't go further. Then, with about 6 tons of tension and only 30% of the material remaining in the base of the branch, we'd throw more ropes over the end of the branch and yank it with the Subaru. Whole process took a few hours each. Then I'd go to town with the chainsaw.

I dislike working on the top end of an unsupported ladder with a chainsaw. If it kicks or drops, or if the branch is really rotten and gives way while I'm cutting it...

All said and done, we saved my Uncle's house and prized boxwoods from being anihilated during a summer storm.