View Single Post
Old 05-19-2005, 03:05 AM
hvnitro006
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gurgling noise heard from dashboard

I have an '89 Bronco II 4X4 auto, 2.9L V6. Ever since I bought it a couple years ago, the radiator coolant level has been dropping after a long drive or after a couple days of short trips. Of course I check the level when the engine is cool, however there has never been any signs of leakage; nothing was found on the ground, nothing at all...even after adding a blatant neon additive to check for leaks. I've had the system pressure checked twice with no indications of leaks. So to combat this problem, I've been replenishing the radiator coolant level whenever its low to about 2 inches from the pressure cap. As for the overflow tank, there is only a very very slight amount of antifreeze in it (checked when the engine is cool). I don't know if that's the way the tank should be...and i don't know much about cooling systems...so i've never filled the overflow tank with coolant; i've just been filling the radiator for 4 years. Meanwhile, I hear a gurgling noise underneath my dashboard whenever my car goes from 0 to 'round 55 or when traveling up a hill (in both instances my car's in a lower gear). Yet, when I'm crusing around 65 or 75 (in a higher gear), the gurgling noise stops. On a side note, I've had a lot of work done on the engine of this car, and yet this coolant/gurgling problem is STILL haunting me. So the question remains: what is that gurgling noise and why am I loosing coolant? ...also...am I suppose to fill my overflow tank with coolant too?

Another problem: My oil level has been dropping after a long drive or after a series of short trips (kinda like my coolant)...with no signs of leakage; i don't see any oil spots on the ground. This issue began when i took my car from a routine oil change and heard a loud ticking noise after a long drive. After pulling over, i checked the oil (when the engine was cool) and noticed it was incredibly low. Whether my mechanic forgot to add oil or blatantly DIDN'T add it, I now have this mysterious oil loss problem which I never had before this routine "oil change." Any suggestions as to why i'm loosing oil? On a side note, i don't take my car to that mechanic anymore...

Any answers are GREATLY appreciated...Thank you.

Lou

Last edited by hvnitro006; 05-19-2005 at 03:09 AM.