View Single Post
Old 05-16-2005, 02:20 PM
jdmorg
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First thing I did was put my 327 cid, 4bb, 4200 lb car in the garage. Although gas was $.89 a gallon for Reg. in Jersey at the time, it was still a killer on MPG if she wasn't on the highway and grinning at 70+. Then, after I got my Bronco, I did all of the general tune-up stuff. When she spit them back in my face, I gave her a new engine...new O2, new TPS, IAC...you name the letters, I changed them. Then, after driving 20,000 miles in 5 months, I decided that The Beast was in cahoots with the gas stations to rid me of my bank account. (Don't worry, I still have and love her). Now, I have a....ahem....*cough* 1999 Nissan Altima *cough* and the mileage is much better. I change the oil every 2500 miles on all of my cars, if not much less, and the air filters never get past 7500.

I turn the A/C off during uphills/heavy acceleration.

Liquified Aerodynamic Enhancer/Friction Reducer (wax).

Good tire pressure.

Cool, calm and collected driving. No need to get nuts with hard acceleration, speeding, etc. And since I'm almost always on the highway, a little bit o' "drafting". I'm sure it's not a big difference, and too close is dangerous, but whatever, it makes me feel better.

I've also started paying car insurance on my own policy with full coverage. This does wonders for someone with a lead foot. 3 more mph's slower and I'd have Grandma Ester blowing my doors off in a Buick Century.

Last edited by jdmorg; 05-16-2005 at 02:23 PM.