View Single Post
Old 05-10-2005, 09:05 PM
airbull
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 96 that is OBD-II. I'm not sure they are the same, if they are, you do not need any special tools to change the cam sensor itself. It has 2 bolts holding it on l(smaller than 1/4 inch), and one plug. Mine was squeeking really bad and I tried to pull the shaft and sensor as a unit. (just like pulling a distributor). It couldn't be done with the sensor installed because it hit the intake, so I pulled the intake. Once I saw how it was designed, I realized the intake didn't have to come off. I proved it by pulling the sensor once the intake was installed. Once the sensor was removed, I loosened and removed the shaft to grease the shaft (stop the squeeking). But since I removed the shaft, I had to re-time the thing, so I had to buy a special tool to time it ($30). As long as you do not loosen and turn (like setting time on a distributor) , or pull the sensor shaft (like pulling a distributor), you do not need to time the sensor. Once I've changed one, I can do it in like 5 minutes or less, but all by touch, cannot see tha darn thing. I also find it hard to believe a sensor costs that much, there's nothing to the thing. I would question it being bad though, from what I read, if it goes bad while you are driving, you won;t notice a thing. However, the engine won't start the next time you try to start it. I've unplugged mine while the engine is running and it made no difference (engine runs using the last known timing signal). Supposedly the timing reference is nulified when you turn the engine off. If you need more help, e-mail me at airbull@aol.com

Last edited by airbull; 05-10-2005 at 09:09 PM.