View Single Post
Old 04-04-2005, 10:17 PM
Bart99GT
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The front cover seal can be replaced without removing the engine from the truck, although you'll definately want to remove the fan and shroud and probably the radiator as well to give you more room. Amazingly enough there's more room under the hood of my Mustang than there is under the hood of a Ranger.

Also, I probably didn't make it clear, but the seal is actually in the front cover. However, removing the cover makes it easier to get the old seal out, especially if you don't have the special seal puller. While you're in there, I would definately replace the gasket for the front cover, and the segment of the oil pan gasket that seals up under the front cover. Replacing the entire oil pan gasket hasn't been necessary in the 2.3L engine since the mid-80s when they went with a multi-piece gasket. Replacing the entire pan gasket on later model trucks is a major undertaking with the engine in the truck because of the larger sized aluminium oil pan.

Sometime in 94-95 (when the 2.3L switched to EDIS) Ford changed the design of the block so that the auxillary shaft was eliminated and the oil pump was moved into its place. Just something to consider. Replacing the timing belt and tensioner isn't a bad idea while you're there. If you really want to snazz things up, you can get the billet tensioner sold by Esslinger, although the 87-88+ factory tensioner holds up well.

Remember that replacing the rear seal involves pulling the transmisison and removing the flexplate or flywheel. I would think if you're going to that much trouble at that point its time to break out the engine hoist and remove the engine from the truck. By the.