View Single Post
Old 07-17-2000, 08:24 AM
slikness
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4.9L I6 300 vs. 5.0L V8 302

Guess, I'll throw my two cents in. I also had the 300 I6 and swapped it for a 351W. I had a lot of respect for the 300, it pulled anything I wanted anywhere I wanted and got great mileage (up to 21 mpg on the road). But, I love my 351. There's nothing like the power and rumble of the V8. I had problems with the front accessories and the throttle/kickdown linkages off the carb, but now I'm enjoying the heck out of it, had a lot of fun building it, learned a lot, and like Moe said, would not have been able to finish the job without the good help of folks on this board.

Also, I know that HP and torque are higher numbers than the 300, but to me the real key is that you will never get the 300 to hold the rpms that the V8 does. Someone talked about blowing the doors off the 302 trucks with his 300 until he blew the engine, and that's what will happen when you try and twist that long crank too hard.

By the way, I still have a lot of spare parts from my swap. If y'all need something, just drop me some mail, I might still have it.

'82 F150 2WD w/351W (orig 300 I6)
Slik