View Single Post
Old 02-24-2005, 12:43 AM
85BigBlock
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I work out near Little Mountain (way out west on 12th st in ogden). I was leaving work at 00:20, just on the main road I drive about 1/4 mile and go over an unlit RR crossing, when almost up to it I notice train cars stopped on the tracks. I slam on the brakes, ABS kicks in, realizing I wasn't going to stop on time, I cranked the wheel to the right and go offroad. I barely miss the unlit RR crossing sign on the left and a RR tie used as a fence post on the right. I clipped the train low only doing damage to the driver side fender and side marker light. I was stuck in the rocks piled up next to the tracks, realizing the train may start moving I took off the traction control and punched it, I got out of the rocks but still by the train. I got out of the car to inspect the damage and the train started moving.
What a close call. It's amazing how well the grey train cars(grain type cars) blended in with the grey of the road and the dark of the sky. All in all there was suprizingly little damage for hitting a train and I drove it home after the tow truck towed me out of the mud (60 bucks!!!)