View Single Post
Old 02-21-2005, 09:06 PM
cfisher
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The plot thickens....

Boy, you never know what you can find when digging into a truck project that someone else began.....

First, while checking out the flex coupler to see if I could figure out how to replace it, it finally occured to me that the steering column didn't quite line up with the shaft coming out of the steering box. As you can imagine this felt about as good as getting hit with a medicine ball. I stepped back and took a look down each side, and sure enough the bed/cab don't line up. Supposedly it was in a driveway at the time and someone went through a tree before finally nailing the passenger fender. I think when the truck was hit on the front passenger, the cab must have shifted. The back of the cab looks like it is sitting too far to the right. That would explain I think why the column is sitting too far toward the back of the motor. It is about a quarter to a half inch off. Is that hard to correct? I was thinking of taking it to a body shop to see if I could have the cab shifted back into place and have new bushings or whatever the cab sits on installed in the process.

Next, I had the fortune to know who the owner previous to the last owner is. The last owner just let it sit and gather dust. The previous had actually done something and supposedly the front end (suspension and whatnot) is out of a '71. Good thing to know as the kingpins apparently are bad and the front tires are wearing on the insides. I have never messed with a front end that didn't have upper and lower A frames. Can anyone give me insight into how to approach this?

Lastly, there is some alluding to "something being done to the rear end by his son" as the message came to me through my wife. I am hoping to find out what that was and that it does not bode badly.

Anyway, I know I tend to type a lot in these posts, but I appreciate all the help my fellow Ford owners have given me, and I beg patience as this is going to be a looooong project.