View Single Post
Old 02-14-2005, 07:10 PM
vegas
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Triple Threat
I am picking up my 61 Unibody this Friday and will also be lowering it. I plan on using a Mustang II front suspension instead of the stock setup. You can get the custom cross memebers for about $400 that weld up to your frame. This is definetly the more expensive route but will improve handling far beyond the stock ability. I plan on C-notching the rear and airbagging the whole truck.

As far as moving the leaf springs from the top to the bottom of your axle I would be concerned about suspension travel. You may still need to notch your frame.

Do you have pictures of your 61? Would love to see it. I LOVE these Unibody pickups!

If your gonna lay the truck full out (frame/rockers on the floor) your gonna need a step notch (at least 8" in the rear) if you just wanna go for the "dropped look" you can just go "axle over" and get a bolt in c-notch for the rear that will be able to retain the integrity of the frame but your going to need to put a hole in your bed to keep the dif from taking a beating evey time you compress the rear.

im also doing a laid out 62 uni shortbed but im going to retain the straight axle up front. I sent the axle to Dave Mann last tues and expect it back this week sometime so i will make sure to report back next week as to how that goes.If someone can tell me how to post pics ill toss some up of the step notch and four link in the rear.

other than that best of luck to both of you.