Old 02-11-2005, 05:52 PM
Trucker22
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rotor removal

SanMan you deserve an award---I have read so much about people struggling with this issue. I used your tip today and it worked great. I did place a steel bar between the rotor and the bolts to spread the pressure---but simply tightened one bolt then the other---after about two back and forths on the bolts holding the nuts---It "cracked"---I knew I had either broke it free or broke the knuckle---but I really didn't have to tighten the bolts that much in my case---2000 NAV 4x4 with 60K on the clock. I thought the corrosion issue was the face of the hub---it's really the edge of the hub---the hub is about .5in thick--this edge has little clearance on the rotor===the rotor rusts bad and creates an edge (much like a drum brake) and you can't get the rotor past it---the two bolts pushing it is enough to break it free. In my case I had to continue threading the bolts out to push the rotor out---a number of turns before I could pull it off.

I'm going to clean it up with a bead blaster and then dope up the edge with Never Seize and this problem will never occur again. However the rotor is rusting so bad I'll probably have to replace them at 100K just due to the corrosion. But at least they will come off.

Thanks again for this tip---it's great