View Single Post
Old 02-01-2005, 11:55 AM
63F100Unibod
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Total Rebuild

Thanks to motorcyclist for the explanation on the starter motor.

Just in case anyone is interested in what is presently happening with my truck......It just happens that I'm in the middle of a total engine rebuild. It slung a rod bearing and damaged the crank beyond the simple machine shop visit. Alas, it seems it's never simple nor cheap for my repairs but at least I will know what I have when finished.

The cylinders were already bored to .40 over so now they'll be at .60. I looked up the casting numbers on the block and I discovered that the block was manufactured in 1959. According to what I've read, and the reassurance of the machine shop, there's lots of room in the block so I don't feel uneasy about stepping up to that size overbore. I did find that one of the piston rod numbers did NOT match the numbers from the other seven. I pointed this out to the machine shop and asked that they verify it as okay before mounting the new pistons. I wouldn't be surprised to find that it has a different weight that the others.

Since the truck is a 1963 and I am at least the third owner, the presence of a 1959 block proves there has been some under-the-hood swapping already. Not a problem for me since I'm not necessarily a purist and don't plan to enter it in any shows. Just goes to prove that you never know what surprises await you in a total teardown.

Both of my exhaust manifolds were bad and I was extremely fortunate to find that the junk yard truck had both manifolds still available for the taking. It took a bit of effort to make one of them servicable since it was completly blocked with carbon. A couple hours of hours of ramrodding with long drill bits and a long 1/2" socket extension did the trick.

I attempted to pull a vacuum on my distributor's vacuum advance diaphram and discoved it was totally not working. That explains why the truck was stumbling during acceleration prior to teardown. The distributor and vacuum advance from the junker motor distributor seems to be in great shape so I think I'll swap out my distributor also since they both have the 14 tooth drive gear.

I also discovered that this junk yard motor had a valley pan with the crankcase vent tube that wraps around the right rear of the engine. My plan is to convert it to a PCV system and route it directly into my existing aftermarket Holly carb air breather system. I should then be able to close off the original breather tube located on the lower left of the block. If anyone has had any experiences with this, either negative or positive, I would appreciate the feedback.

While waiting on the machine shop to rebuild the heads and bore the block, I will clean and repaint the engine bay so that I don't have to visit that area again when i have the body repainted later this year.

If anyone is interested in my progress I will continue to post updates on the rebuild over the next three to four weeks . Hopefully it might inspire or otherwise motivate someone else out there to finish up on their project also.