View Single Post
Old 01-20-2005, 06:39 AM
984x4F150
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, looks like I will be tackling this one today and tomorrow. My symptoms went from just smelling coolant when the heater was on to smelling coolant ALL the time. I have an extended warranty I got when I bought it, so I took it to Ford. Well, the warranty doesn't cover the heater core, so... Looks like I'll be doing it now.
I already have the instructions from 97FordF150, so thank you for those. I started last night by reading the instructions and removing some of the trim pieces, I figured any kind of a head start would be good. When removing the kick panel on the drivers' side I found a LARGE puddle of coolant in the trough that goes along the scuff plate. Sucked that dry with the shop vac, but not sure how in the he!! it got down there. Heater core IS on the other side, right?
Well, after removing the trim pieces and sucking up the coolant, I looked around under there to get an idea of what I was in for. Compared with the instructions it looks like it won't be that hard, just tedious. I bought new heater hoses with clips from Ford, I don't want a heater hose goin out on me after I'm done and then have to pull it all apart again.
And to top all this off, I get in my truck this morning and no start, just click-click-click... So great, now the battery is dying on me too. It is 6 years old with 88k miles though, so I guess it served me well.
So, what kind of heater core did everyone else use that has done this? I haven't bought one yet b/c I think the ones from auto parts stores will have a lifetime warranty, just not sure of the quality of them (don't care about the warranty if I gotta do this again in a month b/c the quality sucks). Someone mentioned four seasons, where did you get it from? And how much?
Thanks for any input.