View Single Post
Old 01-18-2005, 02:10 PM
ken04
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pfogle
We have successfully towed over 12k with an E150 clubwagon... It has a 302/AOD/3:55 rear. We used an equalizing hitch, and electric trailer brakes. Dad made it 150 miles then started to overheat... We later found the radiator was clogged.
Me; 93 Clubwagon (actually Econoline but a Mark III, raised roof, full load conversion), EFI 302, AOD, 3:55 rear, equalizing hitch and trailer brakes. Portland Ore to Anaheim Ca in July, up over the grapevine with 24' camp trailer and all necessary accoutrements inside/tied on the back. 5 kids inside, two adults. Front and rear a/c blazing on max all the time. Fast it wasn't, but 65-70 almost every relatively flat mile. It got a work out over the mountains, but second gear and 75% rpm would tow at 35-45 mph, I was in the slow lane with the fiver guys with their Dodge Cummins towing 35-40' of over the road condos so I was not holding up traffic. I was probably at 6-8K for total load with the trailer and all the gear. At 275,000 miles I traded it in for my 1 ton, V-10. It was running fine, I never had the heads off, although it did need exhaust manifolds (but once warm they would seal up tight, yea, that is lazy, I know). It was a great van for towing once I put some thicker sidewall tires on it, as long as you towed sanely, Ken