View Single Post
Old 01-07-2005, 08:13 PM
Bubbaboy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's the LOM

I have a 1997 Explorer EB and was having the same issue... High beams worked, passenger low beam worked, fog lamps worked, but driver side low beam didn't work. Checked the fuses, replaced the bulbs and still no driver side low beam.. Thank you to the person that suggested the problem was the Lamp Out Module.

First let me explain I'm a CPA and I don't know much (if anything) about repairing cars but just in case anyone else has this problem and wants to try to fix it on there own here are my two cents...

As someone else indicated the LOM in the 1997 Explorer EB is located in the center consol. The center consol isn't screwed in so you just need to pull on it to get it to pop out. I would recommend unhooking the computer (the one that shows your oil life and average speed...) to get it out of the way. You just have to pull out the three seperate connections. Once the computer is out of the way you will see the LOM screwed in with two screws on the right side of the bottom half of the center consol. Its black and there are a bunch of wires hooked into it.

Unscrew the two screws and you can pull it out. You will know it is the LOM because on the back there will be a sticker on it that says its the Lamps off Module. The wire connecter does come off if you pull hard enough and push in the little plastic thing in the middle... I had to pull fairly hard to get this thing off.

If you get this far then what your left with is a black case that has three hooks... take a screwdriver and pull the hooks apart to reveal the electronic component inside....

Now as I mentioned I'm a CPA and I know even less about electronics than cars, but if you flip that component over (the side without the transistors) you might notice that one of the connections (very small) doesn't appear to be soldered as well as all of the others. You will find it towards one of the corners.

I drove down to Radio Shack and slapped down a cool ten bucks for a soldering iron and let it heat up and just put the smallest amount of solder on that connection... It was easy, even for me...

Hooked and screwed everything back together and what do you know... LOW BEAM WORKS....

Good Luck