View Single Post
Old 04-16-2002, 02:21 PM
twcook
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
84 F150 Overcharging

I have read the archives about the IVR. Though it "might" be bad I don't think it is the root of this problem.

I bought this truck used about a year ago and drove it little. Always seemed to start and run when I needed it though.
It has been "worked?" on a lot and there were vacuum lines and wires loose or missing under the hood.

I started using in more and developed a leaky radiator. So I replaced it with a new one. Irrelevant to this problem, but for sake of the entire history.

Now, after many hours of troubleshooting and asking other people I know here is what I have.

Replaced: Voltage Regulator (twice because I'm hard headed), electronic ignition module, alternator.

Battery checked out ok.

When started and running without any accessories on it runs fine and voltage at the battery terminals is 14.8V If wipers or lights are turned on the voltage goes to or near 18 volts. Temp. & oil pressure gauges go all the way to the right. Fuel gauge seems to work ok.

The wiring diagram I have does not match up to the way the voltage regulator and alternator are connected. So if someone has a clue how these are supposed to be wired that would help. The diagram did show that the stator wire should go to the choke heater (my stator wire was dangling without a connector and the choke heater had a pigtail without anything connected) so I connected them. No change. The "S" connection from the voltage regulator appears to go through the firewall in a harness on the passenger side. I am at a loss there. THere was also a rather "roughed up looking connector on a wire from the electronic ignition module that was near the choke heater, that was not connected.

BTW: I did replace necessary vacuum hoses and plugged up all the unused ports. Amazing how much better it runs now. :-)

Thanks for ANY pointers.