Old 01-01-2005, 01:39 PM
Hover
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1987 F150 - What I thought was a fuel problem was electrical

Thanks for the web site on error/fault codes and insight on the wiring.

The problem is solved and here is the story. What appeared to be a fuel/ fuel pump/ fuel relay problem was electrical. I had finally had given up on finding the problem and thoght the best thing to do for the moment to get up and running was to run a separate wire from the NEG terminal on the battery to the pigtail by the fuel relay. To connect to the NEG terminal, I had to unwrap the tape from the large NEG cable to frame groung and two smaller (10- 12 guage wires) that were double back against themselves. I wanted to see where the best place to tap into a wire would be.
After unwrapping the taped wires, one of the factory connectors on one of the smaller wires had become corroded and was completly disconnected. It was a poor connection and just one of the little blue connectors we use everyday. It is important to note that wiithout removing the tape the problem would never have been solved...... Even so, everything worked correctly, except for the fuel system. After a new connector was installed, the boost pump ran for the two seconds or so when the ignition was tuned on and it started right up...
Problem solved.

So, the moral of the story is to those of you out there with a similar problem that what appears to be fuel, could very well be electrical.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Hover