View Single Post
Old 12-24-2004, 08:19 PM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey quad did you intercool that truck yet?
No, but it's on my list of things to try to get done this year. Also on the list are a BTS tranny, and Baby Swamp injectors.
So Quad. this seems to be getting into an interesting thread. I have all this extra money BURNING a hole in my pocket, and I pretty much have a chip picked out, but do you think that the propane would be a better idea, I am not towing anything. strictly a rice racer, weekend go fast machine.

after reading this thread, and a few others on the propane injection I am now leaning towards the 'pane before I get a chip, strictly because the gains of propane are far better then that of a chip, is this correct?? what did you do first and what would you do if you had to build your truck all over again, chip or pane first???
My truck might have been a little different than yours when it was stock, so let's walk through my decision making at that time. My truck is a '95, which means it had the TEE5 box code. That happens to be a very powerful code, but also is the least user-friendly. The shift parameters, and glow plug logic are downright hideous. I wanted a chip first, because I could change the personality of the truck, as well as add more power. By installing a TDE0 code chip, I got more power than the TEE5 had stock, plus I got a very driveable truck. The glow plug logic is far superior, and the torque convertor lockup characteristics are also the best available on a OBS truck. After doing the routine mods: intake, exhaust, gauges, tranny mods, and chip, I was ready for more power to go with the new personality of the truck. Adding propane last made sense in my situation. It might not in yours. I'd get the other foundation laid first, and if you're happy with the box code of your truck, you don't have to have a chip to get the benefits of propane. A chip that's programmed with propane as part of the equation will enhance the benefit, but isn't a prerequisite.
Another thing to consider..... A chip that is programmed for use without propane will need to be reprogrammed for use with propane. If you want to get the chip first, verify that the person programming the chip can later reprogram it for propane use. Most all chip programmers can do this, but it's still wise to check first.

Last edited by Quadzilla; 12-24-2004 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Incomplete response