Old 12-23-2004, 01:06 AM
Nightrain
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SunPro Tachometer Installation; Tach Signal Wire and Instrument Cluster Lighting Wire

1994 Ford F-150 5.0L AODE 2WD

I'm going to order a SunPro tachometer here sometime before Christmas to install as a post-Christmas project before I go back to work.

Now, my plans are to pop off my instrument cluster bezel, or "finish panel" as my Haynes manual calls it, and screw the mount of the tach to those four or five un-used "blocks" to the right of my steering wheel. Before I order the tach, I am going to pull off the "finish panel" and make sure there is nothing behind that certain area to obstruct with a couple of screws and some wires.

I have ordered one of these tachs before to install in my 1992 Ranger, and if nothing has changed, there are four wires. They are as follows;

Red - 12V Constant Power Wire (For Shift-Lite Memory)
Black - Ground
Green - Tachometer Signal
Orange - Illumination Wire

I took the red wire and spliced it into a constant hot wire, which ran into the fuse box somewhere. Of course, the Ranger had the DIS ignition system and there was a certain color-coded wire in the truck's harness which carried the tachometer signal.

What I'm asking is two things...

1) What do I need to splice the tach signal wire into under the hood to pick up the signal for my RPM reading?

2) Which wire in the fusebox do I need splice the orange wire into for the tach's face illumination when the lights are turned on?

Thanks for any insight. I'll let you fellas know how I turn out when it's all completed!

Nightrain

Last edited by Nightrain; 12-23-2004 at 01:09 AM.