Thread: 2.0 vs 2.3
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2004, 10:52 AM
idfergusson
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I replaced the 2.0 in my 87 Ranger with a 2.3 out of Mustang.The motors are basically identical except for the displacement and the ports are smaller on the head.I used the Mustang oil pan, put the flywheel and block plate from the 2.0 on the 2.3 (as the two motors are balanced the same) and bolted it in.The one problem I had was that I wanted to use the 2.0 carb.The 2.0 intake manifold bolts to a 2.3 head but doesn't cover the ports completely.At first I was going to use a 2.3 intake with my 2.0 carb but the carb bolt patterns were different and there were other intake problems.I ended up making a thin plate out of aluminum that fit between the intake and the head by using the 2.3 and 2.0 intake gaskets as a template.The outer dimension is the same as a 2.3 gasket, but the holes for the ports were taken from the smaller 2.0 gasket.I sandwiched the plate in between the intake and the head with the 2.0 gasket on the intake side and the 2.3 gasket on the head side and it has worked fine for about 3 yrs now.I can't remember if I used the original 2.0 exhaust manifold or the Mustang one but that didn't seem to be a problem.