View Single Post
Old 12-03-2004, 10:24 PM
MountainHound
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The old Dodge V10 was a torque monster. I have the data for it from the 2001 Ram model year. The displacement is 8.0L. That year it was rated for peak 310hp @ 4000rpm and 450lb-ft @ 2200rpm!!

Consider this-the 2003 Ford V10 is taed to make about 375lb-ft at 1500 rpm. The old Dodge V10 for that year was rated for 430lb-ft at 1500rpm!! The whole torque curve is super flat-it makes over 400lb-ft from 800rpm to 5000rpm!!!!!

Nobody is making gas engines like that anymore. Ford's V10 and the GM 8.1L don't come close to having that kind of low-rpm pulling performance. Dodge had everybody beat and still does if you want a gas engine to put out torque at lower engine speed.

The downside-the mileage is/was truly awful. My dad's neighbor pulls a livestock trailer with his. I think it's a 98. It is a reg cab long bed 4x4 with 4.10s and he gets 8 to 9 mpg unloaded and about 5 or 6 towing. I think that's why Dodge dropped it. I've taken a few trips with him-the engine and tranny is noisy and it always started hard-especially in cold weather. I'd call it a big, unrefined and powerful towing engine.

Sorry I know u wanted '99 info but that's all I've got. Fords V10 makes a better daily driver IMO. It's quieter, smooth and has way better acceleration off the line. If you want to compare towing performance I'd say the Ford V10 would probably win in alot of categories but the old Dodge V10 could tow real heavy, real steady and slow and not even seem to be working. It's not an engine I'd want but the guys who have them love 'em and they run forever (as long as the Dodge tranny holds up!).