Old 11-21-2004, 09:05 AM
krehmkej
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ranchero Handling

Good mods all. Especially taking weight out of the front. I removed the front bumper and cut away most of the 200-pound box beam that's inside of it. Aluminum heads, intake, water pump and removed the heavy York A/C. Plan to add the small Sanden unit there. Actually these Rancheros are not THAT heavy. Mine now weighs about 3800 pounds (without me) on the certified scale at the quarry where I work. When rebuilding my '78, I got lucky at the junkyard and found a 78 or 79 Cougar with a special suspension (had an emblem on the fender) This had a giant 1-3/8" front sway bar. Fitted this in poly bushings and added an aftermarket 7/8" rear. 7/8" is as big as anyone would want in the rear, as this increases oversteer dramatically. I also had custom springs wound, 1-1/2" lower. My only regret was not taking the time to pull the steering box from that Cougar, as it seemed to have been a faster ratio box. That all said, this thing slams around smooth corners really well. A friend who is a retired cop drove it and said it reminded him of the LTDII police cars he drove years ago. One thing to bear in mind when doing this is that you have to adjust the balance of the car by changing tire pressures to get the optimum. Mine was really loose (oversteer) at first, it really came around in corners, so I fiddled with pressures to get it as neutral as possible. No push, it really turns in fast.