Old 11-20-2004, 09:23 PM
DRanchero
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ordered a new front end suspension kit for $300 from Performance Suspensions in Arizona, but they have a website. That included polyeurethane bushings, polyeurethane sway bar links, steering linkage compenents, upper and lower ball joints... next i bought 2 sway bars from Dearborn Classics. They are aftermarket sizes, they fit exactly for the 72-79 Rancheros, and it is a major increase in taking corners. The front is 1 1/8" and the rear is 7/8". They come with install kits and extra links. I spent about $400 total for that. Next i bought some 1996 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor Shocks from the local parts store. I got the Monroe severe duty gas mangum shocks. It won't show up under Crown Vic P.I. at some shops, so you have to give the part numbers. If you go to monroe's site, you can get a part number for the Crown Vic PI, tell the store, and they get them for you. Mine were $44 each. They were labled emergency vechicles when i got them, and they are yellow with a severe duty sticker on them. I also bought a Grant steering wheel with a smaller diameter, so the turn radius makes it easier for you to steer corners. Tires and rims also help. I have 225/60R15 in the front and 275/60R15 in the back, but some ranchero owners that i have talked to put 17 inch rims on and only 255 tires, but all around. That is the best i've done for performance handling. I can't wait to see how it handles (still in restoration). For traction purposes, I put an Auburn Pro Limited Slip w/ 3.70 gears in my 9 inch rearend. That limited slip is one of the best ones you can get for traction. Not as great as a Detroit locker, but way better for the street. You can still take turns with it and not having to worry about sliding or clacking! I hope this helps. Good Luck!
Danny