View Single Post
Old 11-05-2004, 01:04 PM
canyonbreeze
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Following is a posted response from 'Test' at the www.obdii.com discussion board. I took it for a smog test this morning and it passed even though the Catalyst drive cycle wasn't complete. Many thanks to him or her for this info. The car has never shown a P1000 code, I don't know why.

--------------------

Here is a drive trace and some preconditioning requirements for Ford catalyst systems.

Pre-conditioning requirements:

MIL must be off
Time sequence start up 330 seconds
ECT between 170 and 230F
Engine load between 10 and 35%
EGR flow between 1 & 12%
Time since closed loop 30 seconds
IAT between 20 and 180F
MAF between 1.0 and 5.0 lb/min
Fuel level between 15 & 85%

Use your scan tool to check the preconditioning requirements.

Then:

They suggest a 12 minute drive
Drive for 6 minutes at a steady speed between 25 and 45 mph.
Use a different speed steadily between 25 and 45 mph for the next six minutes

Of course there may also be some other mechanical problem that is preventing the monitor from completing that was not enough to throw a code. Like an O2 sensor that is a bit on the "slow" side.
Also, if you only have one monitor not set on a model year 1998 vehicle it should not keep you from passing your inspection. The federal rules state you can have 2 monitors not completed at the time of inspection for model years 1996-2000. I've heard of some exceptions to that rule if you had failed a test for some codes and then come back to be tested again. They may require that any monitors that seem to be related to some trouble codes be ready when the follow up test is given. You might want to check on that before you make any valiant attempts to get the cat monitor set.

Good Luck!