View Single Post
Old 11-02-2004, 09:05 AM
65CJ5
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by packrat56
On the Holley,(2bbl) does the manual choke operate the choke plate only, or does it ALSO operate a fast idle? I have a 302 from 73, I HATE that Motorcraft choke...
I also got so tired of fighting the auto-choke stuff on the 2 motorcraft carbs I had before that I put the Holley on. The 2300 2-barrel manual choke operates the choke and the fast idle. A separate throttle cable would be great although the fast idle speed can be adjusted and if it's all working right that should be enough. I like the Holley a lot; idle quality, mileage, and performance are all better with it than either of the auto-choke motorcraft 2150 carbs I had on there before.

I found that it's critical you adjust the idle mix screws correctly on the Holley or the choke overwhelms the idle (tries to flood). I used a vacuum gauge to set mine. I ran my idle screws in until vacuum started to fall off, and then backed them back out until the vacuum just came back up. No extra 1/8 or 1/4 turn or anything like that that some people call for. That finally let the choke work correctly and also brought my mileage up to a better (but still disappointing) 10 mpg. However, that's up from a low of 7.5 mpg so it is better. Not great, but better.

I was hoping to be able to get it into at least the 12-16 range, but that's apparently not to be. The truck is just too big and heavy for anything better. Due to the overall poor mileage I leave it parked for the most part now. Just not very practical as a daily driver!