Thread: Posi Rear End
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2002, 05:00 PM
mrwizard
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Posi Rear End

I had a '66 Mustang with a transplanted 9" traction-loc. I could make it fishtail if the snow and ice when I wanted to. My '85 Bronco with the factory limited-slip rear would fishtail in the snow and ice when I wanted it to. My '88 Ranger with the open rear would fishtail in the snow and ice when I wanted it to. My current '95 F150 with limited-slip rear will fishtail in the snow and ice when I want it to. Please note, I said "when I want". Point is, any vehicle will slide all over the raod under icy conditions if not driven properly. However, driven properly, most vehicles will handle at least acceptably in poor conditions.

Put some weight in the back, and put on a good set of snow tires on all four corners. Use studded tires if conditions are really poor. Just remember, you are not going to be able to drive like the road is dry no matter what kind of rear end or tires you have if there is snow or ice. Keep in mind the tires may not actually be touching the road at all. Use very slow, soft pressure on the gas AND brake pedal, and with a little practiceand patience, everything should be fine.