Thread: 534 torque
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2004, 06:50 PM
Loan Ranger
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by smoke n tires
what years did they make them. if in the 60s it would have more torque. did they have much hp? i have never seen one and i want to know if it could fit in a f150 or f250. i suppose the aftermarket is zero to none for this engine, but if it had over 500 ft lbs you wouldnt have to do much. also are the dimensions much bigger then a 460? and whats the weight?
In 1980, the 534 was still rated at 432 ft-lbs of torque @ 2100 RPM. It was rated at 227 HP @ 3200 RPM. Keep in mind that, in 1972, the SAE changed the way they rated engines. Before 72, they were rated at the flywheel with no ancillary equipment attached and operating. After 72, they were rated with ALL ancillary equipment available and running. That, plus emissions requirements, lowered the RATED power of the engines. Actually, the newer SAE standard was a bit more honest than the old standard.

I can't recall any speed equipment for the Super Duty engines. Basically, they were torque engines, used for medium trucks and for industrial applications. They were also used for some marine applications. They were never intended to be modified extensively. They simply had too large of a centrifugal mass to turn at any fast RPM's.

Trying to put one of them in a F-series pickup would require a war pensioner's supply of money to even attempt. For one thing, the engines were very heavy. For another thing, they used the SAE round bellhousing bolt pattern. No other Ford V8 bellhousing matches the SD's--although the FE's are relatively close in geometry but NOT in spacing nor size. Thirdly, they are so tall, from oil pan sump to breather, that most stock F-Series hoods couldn't close.

You could do much more for much less money to build and/or modify an existing Ford truck light duty engine and putting it in your half- or three-quarter-ton pickup.

PHYSICALLY, they are larger than the Lima engines (370, 429, and 460). However, the "little" SD (477) was, of course, only 17 CUBIC INCHES OF DISPLACEMENT larger than the 460.

The 1980 534 produced 432 ft-lbs. of torque; the 1980 460, as installed in F-Series truck chassis, produced 339 ft. lbs. of torque @ 2400RPM. It doesn't take a great deal of work--or even money--to get the 460's torque figures highly COMPARABLE to the SD's.