View Single Post
Old 09-21-2004, 09:12 PM
supercab4x4dually
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you can get the hanger off by cutting/chissling the 4 ribot's off,and then once you have the hanger off with the shackle still in it take a big socket and place the socket over the head of the bolt,and then flip the hanger over on to a real HARD surface with the ratchet part of the socket facing down,and that will be what you want on the hard surface,and then pound out with a round chissle on the thread side of the bolt.Sometime's ive had to use a BIG round punch,and hold it on the thread part while a helper smack's that baby with a sledg hammer.This will free the bolt in the shackle.It might take a hit or two with the sledg but then you should be able to pound it the rest of the way out with a 4.5 pound hammer.If you don't want to pull the hanger that the shackel flip's in take a saw's all,and cut the bolt on both side's of the shackel,and cut them close to the shakle so the head will fall right out,and so will the nut end,and then use the big socket upside down trick with the round punch to drive the remaining part of bolt out of shackel.Be carfull not to mushroom the shank of the bolt or it will be to big to go threw the sleeve of the shackle.Just as the shank of the bolt start's to go threw the sleeve of the shackle take your grinder and clean up the mushroom.I hope this help's,and you can make sence of it but it work's for me everytime,and I do alot of leaf spring's.