Old 09-18-2004, 08:36 PM
66 Pheedrees 8-Door
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Hello Fellow "Econoliner"s! '61-'67 1st-Gen.

I'm new here, but not to '61-67 "E-lines"...I've had several. I now have a rather unusual 1966 Heavy-Duty 8-Door SuperVan; 6-240, 3.50 Trak-Lok 9" rear, h/d 3-speed tranny, full guages, padded dash, dual sunvisors, unusual tinted AND shaded windshield, no rust, never wrecked. I've owned this unit since 1990. I get a lot of looks and questions about the uncommon cargo doors on the driver's side. I've only seen one other van like mine, many years ago. Production numbers are probably pretty low, aren't they? Does anyone know? This one has much less than 100,000 original miles on it. My neighbors call it the "Mystery Machine" like the van in the Scooby-Doo cartoons of the 1970s. I ocasionally see one of these first-generation "E-liners" still running around, but not very often. My other former Econolines were; '64 Cargo 3/4-ton Van--no windows aft of front doors, '66 SuperVan, '61 & '63 Panel Vans (nicknamed the "Freebie" 'cause it was FREE!), and a '65 standard CargoVan. I now only have the '66 8-Door SuperVan. It is probably the rarest of all that I have seen. Any of you folks have one of these, or do you know more about them? I do know the steering boxes were a weak point after many miles...no one has parts at the usual places, and Ford just laughs when I ask for an overhaul kit for a "first-genny" '61-'67 Econoline van steering box! "Ford trucks...oh, yes! But E-vans/pickups...uh-uh. Nope...sorry!" Fortunately, the steering gear on my van is still very 'tight'--no "wandering" when it is driven, even at high speeds. Thanks in advance for any help with info, etc. -"Rusty" in Casa Grande, Arizona
'66 Econoline E-200 Heavy-Duty 8-Door SuperVan