Old 09-11-2004, 12:13 AM
Powerstrokedlariat
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's the deal to those of you that are curious. After 3 weeks in the shop the dealership decided to trace every single wire in the truck. Here is what they found- A yellow aftermarket wire bound up underneath the dash. Aparently the previous owner had a creative way to wire in his third brakelight on the canopy and when trading in the truck, just snipped it off and stuffed it under the dash. The bare metal was actually arcing under the dash, and causing a short to the computer. The guy had it hardwired in- No fusible link or anything. Dealer patched up the wires and after a long drive this evening- 3 hours- I could not get a single problem out of the truck. I would not have ever thought that would be the problem, but they called me to the shop to look at it with them. I am told that since it would short out the computer, the transmission would reset itself as well, and then go to cripple mode to determine what was wrong. There was also discussion of these trannies having a learning capability that was reset every time it arced. That is what would set of the light on the O/D switch. Glad to have my truck back- Now for the mods-