View Single Post
Old 08-19-2004, 08:10 AM
DMAX-HD
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JohnsDiesel -
See now there you go stirring the pot. Besides there Coke cans.
But the truth is the most modified truck there was a Duramax. The guy that has the record for the contest lives about 20 miles from here. I dyno at the same place he used to before he got his own dyno and he got some crazy numbers. It looks like he did the tuning for the truck that took it this year also. Neither one of them to date has had head related issues. In the disscussion group where this article was posted I remember last year somebody asked JK about EGT's for the run and I think he said it was like 1700+ for a short period of time.

Marine Ironman -
That's a great OPINION.

King Ranch -
Very true. With the Dmawhich was the only true stock truck there) having highest speed. So does that mean the Dmax would have passed the 6.0?

Tim -
How many people on your 6.0 board are modded or slightly modded? 1/3? 1/2? more. And how many come looking for opinions on boxes? More and more people that own diesel (PSD's and Dmax's especially) are realizing they can maximize their $40,000 investment for a little more then $300 (hypertech box). Also that Dodge did look sharp ....

309FORD -
That is a good idea for a test. I really can't speak for stock trucks but I can tell you I haven't found an Interstate hwy grade in WI, ILL, MN. That has taken the truck out of OD pulling 10,000#. Now when we got SW of St Louis when going to Branson on I44 also in the Rockys (of course) there were a couple but again most grade it held the gear. I've got a budy with a similiarly equiped 6.0 and he'd prolly tell you about the same thing. Your talking whole states with no downshifting because of grade. Even if they (Dmax or PSD) did downsift I seriously don't think you'd hold up traffic. The V-diesels are made for interstate pulling and they are great at it.

.................................................. ....................
I will say this. The article was a little skewed in the Dmax's favor. But is it really any differant then Ford inviting press to THEIR proving grounds and boosting the best truck. At the bottom of the page they did say the Chevy was the best puller. I don't know after reading the article I'd have drawn the same conclusion. The Ford also did very well and was very capable - thought it was more of a draw between the two. My favorite truck in the compitetion was the 7.3 litre with the pro injectors - nice.

P.S.
Also wanted to bring up these points about the Dmax:

1) The heads didn't melt
2) The IFS looked more like this |-| then this /-\
3) The frame didn't buckle under the pressure
4) The Dmax that took the contest was heavily modded.
5) There weren't a whole bunch of Asian folks there cheering the Dmax on.
6) If your gonna use performace as a messue of quality - the proof is in the pudding.

Had to add those points. They have all been reasons I've heard not to get a Duramax equiped Chevy since I've been around this site.