Thread: 48 flathead six
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2004, 10:19 PM
shortleged
Freshman User
Location: southwestern Erie county in northwestern corner of Pennsylvania.AKA out in the boonies!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by planewood
Powerstroke -

The 226 cid ford flathead 6 engine was used in about 10,000 Ford tractors between 1939 and 1952. Find some of the Ford Tractor forums and post again on them.

I have one of those tractors with the 1951 Flathead. I'm looking for an updraft intake manifold so I can mount the carb below and have the exhaust stacks going upward. Thought about flipping the one's currently on there but bolt patterns don't match. Any ideas how I could do this?
Planewood and powerstroke,good luck finding any info in the tractor forums.The only application for this 226 engine was the Funk Conversion tractors.They were built at the factory in Koffee Kansas,or from kits sold outright from Funk.If you check some of the 8N sites you can see a few with the V-8 conversion,but very few with the 6 cyl.The Funk Aircraft Co factory burned in '53,taking all records with it.There are estimated to have been 5000 to 5500 Funk conversions of the 6 cyl variety tractors factory built,or conversion kits sold to dealers.
If what you have is a Funk 6cyl,it should also have a nasty looking I-beam frame under the engine and 9" longer than stock radius arms.The early ones(all 6 cyl) had cast radius arms,later Funks,6 or 8,had a cast oilpan(like the original Ford) which the front axle pivots on and tubular arms.On the early units the engine could be removed with out splitting the tractor,leaving a rolling chassis.The later ones with the integral oilpan had to be split and blocked up.Funks used several different hood cofigurations as well.Most used the stock hood with a 9" aluminum extension at the rear to accomidate the extra 9" of the bigger motor.The whole hood was raised to accomadate everything else.This extensin is commonly called a "humpback".These odd tractors were built from '42 to '53.Apparently they were popular in the midwest,grain belt states because of there great power and size.
Try looking up 8N Ford sites,see Funk Conversions there.See one once in a while on ebay but they are very rare.Only place I can get any part is my local NAPA dealer.Have tried several tractor dealers,all I get is a stupid look! Most guys have never heard of a Funk!Have seen a couple locally at tractor shows,but they are still very rare.
Somebody suggested www,vanpelt.com/flatheads,low and behold,there it was! Been searching for this kind of info for over a year now!
I need the entire intake system for mine,story goes Funk used the air cleaner from a cab over farm truck of some kind,dunno which.Whew! Anybody with any info on this thing feel free to post it,need all I can find for this reconstruction! Thank all !