View Single Post
Old 08-10-2004, 08:27 AM
200000+F150
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I, too, would like to *someday* turbo my 300. It's probably the best truck engine ever built, considering it's longevity, and it's nearly flat torque curve. The only drawback is that it is a bit underpowered out on the road, and runs out of steam by 4000 RPM. That's not too bad if you've got a late-model with a 5-speed, and better yet if it's the ZF, since it's got such a low first and gives you the best of both worlds. The restrictive head and lack of many aftermarket performance parts makes it a perfect candidate for turbocharging. Just a little boost to give it a shot in the arm without going nuts... I'd think a diesel turbo would be a good starting place from a cheap, junkyard parts perspective, because the thing is darn near like a diesel in its' general characteristics. Something that would start making boost right off idle, but wastegated pretty low should take advantage of it's strengths and weaknesses. The GM EFI is the way to go for almost anything IMHO. "Purists" may balk at it, but it's dirt cheap, widely available, and hacked to death. You can get everything you need to use flash chips, (including the chips) and program them yourself delivered to your door in a couple of days for under a hundred dollars. The hot ticket for this would be what the GM turbo guys are using a lot: Computer from a turbo Sunbird and MAP sensor for the same. Re-program the chip and go with it. Not THAT much wiring to install either (Already done one harness, getting ready for my second). Going this route would solve many if not all of the mentioned problems. Hmmm...think I'll go hit the junkyard today and see what they have in the way of turbos....