View Single Post
Old 10-19-2002, 08:41 PM
rgiles
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
91 Explorer Transmission Advice please

Thanks for the good info. You make it sound so easy that I would be tempted to try Although I haven't done anything that complicated before. I've only worked on things like oil pan replacement, starter, alternator etc. The easy external stuff. Never even done breaks, but would be interested in learning how to do that if it's relatively easy to do. My wife burns up break pads pretty quick.

>So what exactly is this slop and what is the color of the
>fluid?

The color is red, and clear. The slop in the tranny occurs first thing in the morning, the RPMS need to rev around 500 higher than I would expect so there isn't as much torque or power to the road. This lasts for about a block or two, and then things start tightening up.

This car has been a late shifter for awhile and I think that might be a vacuum problem because when it won't shift from 1st to 2nd, I will rev it then let off the gas quick and then that usually makes it shift. Does this sound like vacuum to you?

I guess I will take off the pan off the tranny to replace the filter. What should I look for once I have the cover off? Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Rick