View Single Post
Old 08-06-2004, 09:19 PM
frederic
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Quicklook2 -

Not everyone uses their rig for offroading. The most "offroad" my F350 crewcab has seen is a gravel driveway. Trucks are different things for different people. Some like to bounce them off boulders. Some like to drive in waist deep mud. Some like to forge rivers with a snorkel. Some use their trucks to haul bricks, lumber, rocks, gravel, sand, road salt, plywood and sheetrock. Some use their trucks for camping, fishing. Some tow race cars, horses, motorcycles, hay, junkyard parts. Some even haul rotten cabbage to the dump

Some trucks have never seen more of a load than a family of five and several sets of roller skates. For some, its a minivan with the convienence of an open bed. Some people just drive trucks because they feel safer and sit higher on the road. Some just have a truck fetish, and feel "manly" driving one.

There are many, many reasons for someone to own/drive a truck, that's entirely cool. Personally, I tend to supercharge and turbocharge anything that passes through my stables because I can. Because I want to learn. Because I enjoy it.

And to be fair, my last turbo-truck was a 1975 Dodge D200 extended cab, a rickety, old pickup with a twin-turbo 451 stroker. There is nothing more exhilirating (for me) than out accelerating a rich guy in a brand new C5 corvette, in a very squeeky, manual everything, 6000lb Dodge pickup with 20 sheets of plywood in the bed. Sad I had to let that project go. My F350 crewcab replaces that project, and I'm essentially doing the same thing. Slightly bigger, slightly heavier, slightly more boost. Should be just as fun to drive. And isn't that the point? Fun?

Anyway, sorry for the commentary, was just trying to trigger some out of the box thinking, hope you don't mind.

From a practical standpoint, he could do a swap to something larger, maybe the 460, a SBF stroker, etc, but there is a certain "cool factor" with doing something thats absolutely out of the ordinary. I would consider a turbocharged I300 "out of the ordinary".

Plus, he wouldn't have to change the transmission, the gearing, et al. Just build the motor appropriately for the amount of boost he wishes to run, and enjoy the gas pedal.

Remember this...

Some of us are "in the box"...
Some of us are "out of the box"...
Some of us have no box

Last edited by frederic; 08-06-2004 at 09:22 PM.