View Single Post
Old 08-05-2004, 05:11 PM
JohnT
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

That's a good idea to buy a beater to drive in the winter. That will definetly help to keep your truck in good shape. I decided to do that 3 years ago when I had a frame-up restoration done on my 78 F150 which used to be my daily driver. I have way too much money invested in the 78 to let anything happen to it, so I bought an old Buick LeSabre, and have been using that in the winter ever since. That's good you keep a nice coat of wax on your truck. I thought my 95 F150 was the cleanest 90s Ford in IL because,it too, shines like glass. Sounds like your 92 is as clean as my 95! As far as the WD-40, that will not hurt the paint or wax on your truck. It will collect dirt over time, though. Another idea would be to leave a coating of wax on the lower body panels during the winter months. When I first bought my 95, I did that because I had nowhere to keep the truck and it was exposed to the elements. One advantage that you have with your truck being a Flareside is that the majority of the bed is made of fiberglass, and that can never rust. As far as your bed cover, you might want to take that off during the winter, because the snow will pile up on it in the middle making it sag between the rails and that could cause the cover to stretch. I had a bed cover on my 94 Flareside, and I had that happen. I'm glad that some of my ideas have been helpful to you. I know from experience how hard it can be to keep a nice truck looking nice when it's exposed to winter weather. John