Old 07-24-2004, 05:35 PM
r4square
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2.3L timing belt installation problem (Picture included)

This is a 2.3L Ford motor installed in a Bayliner boat with an OMC sterndrive.

I pulled the motor and rebuilt it this summer because it was seized. Two of the pistons had rusted rings.

Just coming up to the final stages of the rebuild. It's been alot easier working on this boat motor since I don't have to deal with any electronics or emissions systems.

Anyways I've in hit a snag with the timing belt installation. I read the manual and surfed the web to get as much information as I could get before installing the belt.

I read the tech section of the Ranger forum so I understand the install process.

Take a look at my camshaft timing marker. There are three markers to line up the dot on the camshaft sprocket.

Which one should I line it up with?

When I install the new timing belt, I line the camshaft sprocket with the middle marker.

After turning the crankshaft 2 turns from TDC to TDC, the camshaft sprocket lines up with the left marker. It that OK or should it line up with the middle marker?

If I turn the crankshaft half a tooth, the camshaft sprocket marker will move from the middle marker to the left marker.

Thanks for any advice you guys can give.