View Single Post
Old 06-12-2004, 06:24 PM
Trail Rider II
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ether or propane??

Ok pane has an unit of working power at 9500, where as diesel is down around 7500. I did the research and posted it here two weeks ago.
Gasoline is on up in the 12000 range.

I have uses farm tractors that were straight pane. They have to spin almost twice as fast to start. Usually two batteries and then the isolator kicks in once started.

We used ether to start pane and diesel engines in cold weather is burn rating is 19800, so yes it will flash, yes even higher than gasoline!!!

One reason you will see WARNING LABELS!!! They say dont use ether unless the engine is turning. Glow plugs or the heating grid as in Dodges will ignite ether.

This is why you need the engine turning!!! The engine will suck the fire down into the cylinder and help the engine on the next compression stroke

I have used ether my whole life to start diesels in cold weather, you just have to be carefull on any engine heating element.

I did see a young E-2 send a 6.4 GM diesel into a thousand pieces by shooting a heavy dose of ether, then hiting the starter in a Hummer!

Just read the instructions before using ether.