View Single Post
Old 06-01-2004, 05:48 AM
briansrapier
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hub Overhaul

It really wasn't that difficult once I knew what all was there. Essentially, from memory I recall that there was a small snap ring around the axle shaft, a larger snap ring on the hub to prevent the 4x4 spline thingy (that's the technical term, really) from sliding all the way out, the spline thingy, and a big spring. Oh, and a screw to keep the spline from sliding out too far.

As far as bearings go, while I didn't replace mine, I did adjust them while I had it apart. You will have to remove the outer lock ring and a keyed washer that sits under it. There is a second lock ring that is also the outer bearing race. After removing that, assuming that you have already taken off the brake caliper, the brake rotor/hub assembly should slide right off. From there, you can knock out the old races and install the new ones. I have heard of people using a large socket that is the same size of the race to pound in the new ones. Personally, I've never attempted it, so you might want to ask around, or pay someone with a press to do it for you (probably a whole lot cheaper than buying a socket that size).

In any event, you'll need a set of snap ring pliers and the special tool for loosening the two lock rings. I fore went the special tools and wound up bending one of the snap rings. I was able to bend it (mostly) back into shape, but I'll likely replace it if/when I open it back up.

In a pinch you can use a flat bladed screwdriver and a mallet to back off the lock rings, but I wouldn't trust torquing the outer lock ring to that method. Here in WV, the local Auto Zone loans out the special tools you'll need for free. However, an inexpensive set of snap ring pliers is always handy to have around.

In my opinion, it was much harder to change the spark plugs than take apart the 4x4 hub.

Brian