View Single Post
Old 05-31-2004, 11:54 PM
ronnidonni
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 Ranger check Engine light is on?

I'm brand spanking new here, and I found this forum looking for answers to why I suddenly couldn't control the heater. Found it, used it today, worked great, so far!!
Friday night the heat problem happened. On Saturday we went on an approximately 160 mile trip and my 98 Ranger seemed to miss going uphill. The transmission seemed to be shifting a little rough in Cruise Control and I need to get the tranny serviced soon. The slightly rough shifting wasn't really a concern.
Mine is a 98 Ranger XLT, 4WD, 3.0 V-6, AC, and automatic. We returned on Sunday, and the missing seemed to all but disappear. I started it this morning and drove a couple of miles to get it warmed up for the heater fix. It hesitated when starting from a stop and seemed to be missing on one cylinder, then the Check Engine light came on. I changed the plugs, which I was planning to do anyway but that didn't help.
Any ideas out there of what to check for first.? At Schuck's Auto Supply they didn't have an EGR valve listed, and the O2 sensor was a bunch of money. I figured I'd throw this out here first to see if anyone had an idea, rather than start throwing money at it.