Thread: biodiesel
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2004, 08:57 PM
Paarrothead
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Oklahoma
I saw a post from a guy a little while ago that had used it for 3 or so years? Maybe he will post.
Maybe that was me..I've been using anywhere from 20% (B-20) to 40% biodiesel blend in my F-250 for almost 2 years.

I think it's terriffic...Keeps the fuel and injectors clean and winter or summer my truck immediately cracks to life when I start it in the mornings. Very high cetane. I've run winterized B-40 down to 10 degrees F without any problems. That would be 40% biodisel blended with a winter 20% #1 / 80% #2 mix.

I've seen no difference in power or mileage up to that 40%. Bio might have energy per gallon between #1 and #2 dino diesel, but it's high cetane means it ignites more readily and completely. So it all washes out.

There's a local fellow around here that's done better than 500 RWHP on biodiesel in a 2000 F-250 at one of our dyno days.

Make sure to remember the legal issues. I haven't checked lately but it was going to be or maybe is approved as an alternative fuel source for diesels?
Except for Cummins, the engine manufacturers haven't mentioned anything about it for some time (that I've read about). I do know that because it's easily available around here, the cities of Denver and Boulder, CO have switched their diesel fleets to B-20 to reduce air pollution and give the Middle East a few less $$.