Old 05-14-2004, 11:14 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by Old & Crunchy
First Thank you to all who replied. Good information.

Going off on a tangent. the same guy who (verbally)told me I had chain drive and caused me to come to FTE for confirmation has subsequently told me new venture makes a gear driven transfer case model 205 that rock climbers use. He thought it might be possible to install it. I assured him that would only become a possibility if mine went out and was not under warranty. Anyone care to comment on this ?

Still waiting for someone to tell me how many manufacturers use new venture transfer cases.

Can someone explain to me why the NV271 is rated (7890 ft/lbs. torque) for 18.5 times the torque my V10 (425 ft/lbs torque) puts out? Am I missing something here? Wouldn't that (7890 ft/lbs. torque) be equivalent to several thousand horsepower?

I have a New Process 205 transfer case - in my '74 F250 !!!! It's old, it has over 300K miles on it, and leaks like a sieve. Never broke. But I doubt it could be retro-fitted into a brand-new SuperDuty

I looked around on the web, and the Dodge 2500 and up use the same transfer cases. These things are very strong. The chain should last just as well as a gear-driven, maybe even better, because the idler gear in the middle of a non-chain case takes a lot of strain and can fail just as easily. The key is lubrication.

The reason the torque rating is so high is that you have to take into consideration the transmission gear ratios. With a 6-speed, low is 5.79:1, so take peak torque from the V10 (425) and multiply it out, that's 2460.75 ft-lbs out the back of the tranny. Then, if you use 4x4 LOW, that's another 2.7:1 gear reduction, that's 6644 ft-lbs. If you have a diesel, putting out over 500 ft-lbs, you get pretty close to the max rating.