Old 05-13-2004, 11:02 PM
broncoman66
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 66 Bronco and a 79 Jeep Cherokee. The jeep is full size, not a CJ, but atleast it has D44's front and rear, a T15 3 speed, which is a very heavy duty trans, it was even used in Jeep 3/4 ton pick ups. And a Dana 20 'case. But, it isn't as small as my Bronco, so not a completely fair comparison. I always tell Jeep people that own CJ's or even Wrangler's to just get on the creeper and look under my Bronco (which has been updated with D44 front and big bearing 9" rear, all stock 74 Bronco stuff) and then look under a CJ7. Early Bronco's have a superior frame, better driveshafts, better rear end,( I can't dispute Jeep's Dana 30 front end because up until early 70's Bronco used a Dana 30 as well, but at least Ford figured out that was bad), a better low range out of the Bronco's Dana 20 case, 2.46 : 1 versus 2.03 :1 in the Jeeps Dana 20. CJ frames are notorious for excessive flex if used hard and in turn leads to cracked bodies. The Bronco frame is much more rigid. Both Jeeps and Broncos came with crappy ratios in their 3 speed manuals. Jeep did at least offer the T18 4 speed with granny low. I will give them credit for that. One thing they both share is that they both will rust like crazy. I hate to say it, but I do kind of like them both. Obviously, I own both! However, no one really notices my Cherokee, my Bronco gets looks and compliments.
A lot of Jeepers say that the ****** Jeep won WWII, well I say to that, Look at the facts, Ford made more Jeeps in WWII that ******' did!! I say that is why they held up so well!

Mike
66 Bronco 5.0 SEFI 3 speed
79 Cherokee 258 3 speed